Welcome to the Veteran Fang Lair dungeon guide (vFL) for The Elder Scrolls Online.
This walkthrough will mainly focus on doing Fang Lair on Veteran difficulty including both Hard Mode and the standard final boss battle.
If you are on normal difficulty, it will all be the same only a lot more forgiving. If you are doing it on normal, pay attention to the mechanics even though you might not have to as it will help you a lot when going for veteran mode!
Fang Lair is part of the Dragon Bones DLC and was released along with Scalecaller Peak. You will encounter some difficult boss fights in this dungeon so expect to wipe a few times if this is your first run.
Table Of Contents:
- Dungeon Overview
- Dangerous Trash Monsters
- First Boss: Lizabet Charnis (arena fight)
- Second Boss: Cadaverous Bear
- Third Boss: Caluurion
- Fourth Boss: Ulfnor and Sabina Cedus
- Final Boss: Thurvokun
- Final Boss: Hard Mode
Fang Lair is located in north-eastern Bangkorai.
CP 700 +
Throughout the dungeon you will encounter blue balls that look like sponges. If you get close to any of these the will explode after a brief moment and deal a lot of damage and put a nasty poison DOT on you. Avoid these at all cost!
Dangerous Trash Monsters
Make sure to face the Bone Colossus away from the group, and always taunt these first as they perform bad heavy attacks.
Always focus damage on the Revivifiers first as they can revive their allies. You can potentially end up with an infinite fight if you leave the Revivifier alive.
First Boss: Lizabet Charnis (arena fight)
The first boss in Fang Lair is Lizabet Charnis, you won’t actually be fighting her, but rather she will summon waves of enemies for you to deal with. This boss is a classic arena-style battle.
- You will encounter four waves of enemies, the last wave will include x2 Bone Colossi.
- The Tank’s job here is to make sure to taunt the Bone Colossus and chain pull as many ranged units as possible and rooting them. Clumping up the enemies will make or break this fight.
- High DPS in this fight is very rewarded, but making sure to place AOEs where the tank is pulling in the enemies and focus firing down the Bone Colossus will help a LOT if your DPS is a bit lower.
There aren’t really any mechanics to discuss in this fight, the main thing will be about controlling the adds and not letting the Bone Colossus crush your group.
Bone Colossus: The tank MUST taunt the Bone Colossus immediately and face it away from the group. The Colossus will perform cone AOE attacks and also a fairly large AOE ground slam which the group should avoid (the tank can just block it).
On your way to the next boss you will encounter some Bone Colossi and Revivifiers, make sure you understand how to deal with these, more info under Dangerous Trash Monsters.
Second Boss: Cadaverous Bear
The second boss in Fang Lair is the group tester. This fight is where the difficulty ramps up and if you can do this boss, your group is strong enough to complete the entire dungeon. We will go into extra detail on this boss as it is infamous for wiping PUGs.
- There will be multiple enemies in this fight, the main boss is the Cadaverous Bear. Once the bear is down, the fight is over.
- The Senche (big cat skeleton) will pounce on a random player (usually the one furthest away) and pin that player and start biting him/her. The group has a small time window to interrupt the Senche while it’s biting, or the pinned player will die.
- The Dire Wolves (group of smaller wolves) will explode when they are close to a player and one-shot squishy group members.
- The Guar will shoot pools of poison on the ground the deal a lot of damage, don’t stand in them!
- Killing the Guar or Senche won’t actually kill them, they will become invulnerable and won’t perform any attacks for about 30 seconds, after that, they will return to the fight with full health. You can repeat this any amount of times.
- You will also have the little mushroom sponges that explode when you touch them that you have seen previously in this dungeon. They will appear throughout the fight so watch your feet!
There are a few different ways of dealing with this boss, commonly the group runs around the main boss in circles to avoid the poison AOEs from the Guar and the small wolves. This is a temperamental approach and often fails unless your group has great sustain and high DPS.
I recommend a different strategy; The tank will NOT be taunting the main boss, instead, the tank should range taunt the Guar and run over to the Dire Wolves. We do this for three reasons:
- The tank will be making sure to root and make the small wolves blow up far away from the group (just get close to them and they will blow up).
- The Guar will be spitting the poison AOEs away from the group.
- The Senche usually pounces on the player furthest away, with this method, this should be the tank who can withstand a few extra seconds from the bite (make sure someone is ready to interrupt the Senche so you don’t lose your tank).
The rest of the group will be holding the Senche and Bear in the middle of the room. You must first focus fire on the Senche making sure it goes down to avoid constant pouncing. After that, start focusing on the boss, you can ignore the Guar.
A damage dealer will have aggro on the boss, make sure to roll-dodge and block when needed, the Healer will need to pay extra attention to the person with boss aggro. It’s best to decide before hand which damage dealer should have aggro, that player should slot a taunt ability to keep aggro.
Repeating this process should allow you to take down the boss in a calm manner without people dying every 5 seconds.
Note: Damage Dealers and the Healer should NOT run around, just stay put and focus on the Senche when it’s up and then the Boss.
If you’ve read the above, you don’t need to read this section unless you are interested or confused about something.
The Senche will Pounce on a random player (usually the player furthest away from it), the targeted player will get pinned to the ground and the Senche will start biting that player causing a LOT of damage. An ally needs to quickly interrupt the Senche while it is biting to free the pinned player.
This is 90% what ends up wiping a group, the Senche will take down your ally very quickly so be ready with an interrupt! A ranged interrupt ability such as Crushing Shock is VERY helpful here.
The Guar will throw out poisonous AOEs on the ground that will damage any player in it a lot. This is why we want the tank to keep a range taunt on it to keep the AOEs away from the group, also to reduce direct damage on the group.
The Dire Wolves will rush in every 30 seconds, the moment they touch a player the will explode in an AOE dealing LOTS of damage. This is why we want the tank to stand over where they spawn (to the left as you enter the room) and make sure to trigger their explosion before they reach the group.
On your way to the fourth boss you will encounter some more Bone Colossi and Revivifier, make sure you understand how to deal with them, more info in the dangerous trash monsters section.
This is the main boss, once the Bear is down, the fight is over and you win. The bear itself is not really a big deal, it’s mostly the other enemies that are dangerous. As stated in the approach, the tank should NOT be taunting the Bear, leave it over with the Damage Dealers.
Third Boss: Caluurion
The third boss in Fang Lair can be next to impossible if you just try to burn it down without enough DPS. By playing the mechanics, you don’t need high DPS at all to beat this boss.
- This boss will perform a lot of AOE attacks, make sure to pay attention to where you are standing at all times during this fight!
- Use the skeletons to destroy the relics, don’t try to burn them with your attacks, it will take forever.
- Tank – don’t chain the skeletons nor taunt them, let them run to the active totem instead.
- At least one relic will need to be destroyed, or the boss will go invulnerable at 25% health, keep this in mind if you are trying to burn the boss with high DPS.
- The last 20% is a burn phase – All relics will activate, save Ultimates for this part, ignore the relics and NUKE the boss!
There are six relics spread evenly around the edge of the boss room. One at a time, a relic will become active, you will see it glowing. An active relic is bad news, we need to destroy it as quickly as possible, an active relic will grant the boss extra powers.
The fastest way to destroy an active relic is to use the skeleton adds that are running in, DON’T try to destroy the relics just using your DPS, it will take forever. When you kill a skeleton, they will blow up (you’ll see an AOE circle form under them), if a relic is within the explosion range, the relic will take a big chunk of damage. Make sure to clump up the skeletons close to the active relic, take them out and let the explosions deal with the relic.
As said, there are six types of relics, you don’t really need to worry too much about what they do, just focus on destroying the active relic and you’ll be fine, but if you are curious, here’s what each relic will do:
Serpent Relic: Spawns snakes that deal a moderate amount of damage, ignore the snakes, focus on the relic and the healer needs to keep the healing up when the snakes are loose. After you have taken out the relic, you can kill the snakes to get rid of them.
Lurcher Relic: The boss will send rooting vines everywhere on the ground, if you get cought, roll-dodge to get out of it.
Flame Relic: Grants the boss the Breath of Fire ability, he will breathe fire onto the tank and anyone standing too close. It sounds worse than it is.
There will be a lot of AOEs coming your way during this fight. Especially the chain AOEs are bad, they will spawn evenly spaced around the boss and will give you a few seconds to get out of the way. Make sure you pay attention to these! If you are close to the boss, you will definitely need to be very careful, ranged players should stay as far away from the boss as possible! The tank can handle the damage but squishy players will not last long.
On your way to the fourth boss you will encounter some more Bone Colossi and Revivifier, make sure you understand how to deal with them, more info in the dangerous trash monsters section. You will also encounter some large crystals in the middle of groups of enemies, make sure to focus on these first as they will start spawning more Bone Colossi if left too long.
Fourth Boss: Ulfnor and Sabina Cedus
The fourth boss in Fang Lair is quite straight-forward but becomes a lot easier with higher DPS. There definitely is a DPS threshold to this fight, if your DPS is low, expect to have party members die and be ready to resurrect them to beat this boss.
- Sabina (the ghost) will chain a random player and start dragging him/her towards her. The rest of the party will need to “kill” Sabina before the chained player reaches her. If you fail to kill Sabina in time, the chained player will die.
- Tank – Make sure to have aggro on Ulfnor 100% of the time, he hits super hard on squishy players. Also make sure to avoid the ghost the will fly towards you, it will fear you and if Ulfnor performs a heavy attack while you are feared, you will die.
- Watch out for Ulfnors flame attack, get far away from him so that you can avoid the little fire balls easily.
Chained by Sabina
Sabina will randomly put a player in chains. She will start pulling that player towards her, if the player reaches Sabina, he or she will die. It is the rest of the group’s job to kill Sabina before the chained player reaches her. When someone is chained, IMMEDIATELY stop what you are doing and start nuking Sabina, saving your Ultimates for this part is a good idea if your DPS is on the low side.
If your DPS is too low and you can’t kill Sabina in time, ignore her completely while you keep damage on the boss, let the chained player die and make sure someone is ready to resurrect ASAP.
Tip: Sabina will dive down into the ground right before she is about to chain someone, as soon as you see this, get ready to find her and start damaging her.
When Sabina is on top of Ulfnor, she will sometimes send out a ghost that will fear any player that touches it. This is especially lethal for the tank as you won’t be able to block while you are feared. Pay attention and get ready to dodge out of the way when the ghost comes flying at you.
Ulfnor will perform various flame attacks, if you are not the tank, just keep your distance and be ready to get out of the way when the flames come. If you are melee, don’t get lost in keeping your DPS up, ALWAYS be ready to get out of the way, even if it means lowering your damage output.
Final Boss: Thurvokun
The final boss in Fang Lair is quite tricky and have a few phases you need to pay attention to. Once you learn the mechanics and get into the flow of this fight, it will be quite easy. Hard Mode, on the other hand, is very difficult but we will get into that in the next section.
This is quite a long boss fight so read through the overview, give it a shot and then return to reading about the mechanics to get a good grasp on what is going on. This is one of the hardest fights in the game so don’t get discouraged!
- Four crystals are located on each side of the room. One by one they will light up, make sure your damage is focused on the active crystal or a Bone Colossus will spawn.
- Thurvokun will keep dropping poison pools underneath him that grow to a very large bad AOE, DON’T step in it, it will kill you really quickly.
- Giant Scarab – The boss will summon Giant Scarabs on the tank – You have to CC them and get away from them, they will put a nasty chill on you that will take you out quickly. Damage dealers should get rid of the Scarab asap.
- Once the crystals are destroyed – A ghost wall will travel across the room, you MUST hide behind the golden shield to survive this.
- Once you kill the boss – the boss respawns with 50% health. You will now get targeted by a slowly growing circle, you must touch one of the golden circles scattered around the room to protect you against the blast that is about to come.
- Make sure to block the massive cone attack from the boss or get out of the way if you can.
When the fight starts you will notice four crystals around the room. Orryn will teleport next to a crystal and activate it, once activated it will have a circle underneath it and glow. You can now attack this crystal, the Damage Dealers and the healer should head over to the active crystal and make sure to destroy it.
The longer the crystal is left intact the more adds will spawn from it, if you are too slow with destroying it a Bone Colossus will spawn, if it does, focus down the crystal and then deal with the Colossus.
This will happen for every crystal in the room, once you destroy all of them, the fight enters the next phase.
Once all crystals have been destroyed, Orryn will start summoning Ghosts that will travel in a line from one wall across the room to the opposite wall. There are no gaps in the wall and if you touch it, you die.
The only way to survive the wall is to hide behind the golden shield the spirit helping you puts up. He will spawn in the middle of the room and run to a random location to put up a golden shield in front of him. The ghosts can not go through this shield, so run to the shield, stay behind it and you will be fine.
Once you get the boss down to 0% HP, he will revive with 50% HP! This is a burn phase and the fight doesn’t change significantly. You will now get adds spawning from the blue portals on the ground, the tank should try and clump these up around the boss if possible.
The boss start shooting orbs at players, the healer will need to work extra hard when this happens.
You will also encounter a new mechanic which we will cover next.
Once the boss has revived, he will fly up and target everyone with a slowly expanding circle under your feet. If the circle reaches 100% you will die. You will also get feared at this point, break free asap.
To survive the blast that happens when the circle expands to 100%, you need to touch one of the golden circles that appear on the ground scattered around the room. You don’t need to stand in it, touching it is enough. You will now have a shield that will protect you from the blast. Only one player per circle.
Tip: It is a good idea to divide the room into four squares, each player gets assigned a square. When the boss flies up, you now need to run to your square and pick up a golden circle in your corner, this way you reduce the risk of someone not getting a shield.
Large Poison Pools
The boss will continuously drop poison pools that expand to an extremely large AOE that will kill you almost immediately if you touch it. They do disappear when they reach their maximum radius though so just stay away from them and make sure not to get locked into a corner.
If you are tanking and you keep dying without understanding what is killing you, it’s most likely the Scarabs.
The boss will target the tank with an expanding AOE circle, when it reaches 100% you will receive a heavy attack (BLOCK or DODGE). Next, a Scarab will spawn, the Scarab will target you with a nasty frost DOT which stacks. If you receive enough of them, you will die really quickly. Make sure to ROOT the Scarab and run away from it!
Damage Dealers should try to get rid of the Scarab as it causes a lot of grief for the tank.
Once you are familiar with the mechanics, when they happen and how to deal with them – this fight becomes quite manageable. It’s tricky because there are so many different things to pay attention to and so many phases the boss goes through.
Keep trying and come back to the guide to understand each section and you will clear it in no time. Next, let’s take a look at Hard Mode!
Final Boss: Hard Mode
To activate Hard Mode in Fang Lair, interact with Orryn’s Notes located next to the gate.
Hard Mode in Fang Lair is exceptionally more difficult than regular Veteran difficulty, make sure you are completely comfortable and understand all the mechanics in standard mode before attempting Hard Mode.
Key Differences on Hard Mode:
- A Bone Colossus will spawn immediately when Orryn activates a Crystal.
- Two Scarabs instead of one will spawn on the tank.
- The boss will have 6M HP instead of 4M.
- Orryn will be shooting random players throughout the fight with shadow bolts.
- Orryn will also teleport down on the ground and start channeling an ability which has to be interrupted quickly! Make sure a group member is assigned to interrupting him.
- After the boss revives, you will have constant ghost walls coming, but NO shield! There will however be gaps in the wall that you need to run through. (This is the hardest part of HM).
- You of course have all the regular mechanics to deal with as well, as you can see, there is a lot 🙂
Hard Mode Mechanics
The idea is the same, destroy the crystals as soon as they are activated. The main difference is that a Bone Colossus will spawn immediately when a crystal is activated.
I don’t recommend that the tank taunts the colossus, the boss and the Scarabs are more than enough for the tank to deal with.
If you have casters in your group, the ideal way here is to drop the Destruction Staff Ultimate on the crystal and make sure to keep the Bone Colossus in the Ultimate as well, burning both of them down quickly enough. One of the damage dealers will have aggro on the Colossus, you WILL have to roll-dodge the heavy attacks from it or you will die.
Make sure to build up Ultimate in between crystals, take turns dropping your Ultimates so you don’t end up with a crystal and no Ultimates ready.
Orryn generally stands on one of the platforms up above the room on the sides, he will be casting nasty orbs at everyone while up there. Shortly after he activates a crystal he will teleport down to the ground and start channeling an ability.
You must interrupt this ability as quickly as possible! If you don’t he starts shooting really bad orbs at everyone and will wipe your party in a matter of seconds.
Someone should be assigned to interrupting Orryn when he performs this attack, I suggest the healer as the Damage Dealers are usually busy with a Crystal when this happens. I recommend slotting Crushing Shock so that you can range interrupt.
Crazy Ghost Walls
The ghost walls will remain the same as in standard difficulty, until the boss revives. Once you defeat the boss and he revives, the ghost wall mechanic changes.
You will now have constant ghost walls and you HAVE TO put all your focus on them, everything else from this point is secondary.
You no longer have the golden shield to hide behind, but the ghost walls now have gaps in them allowing you to avoid the ghosts. But this is very difficult to pay attention to with everything else that is going on. You have to just practice until this becomes second nature to you. Never drop your focus on the ghosts!
It will probably take you several attempts on different occasions before you beat Fang Lair on Hard Mode. Try for an hour or two, leave it, digest it, sleep on it and come back refreshed and you will get it eventually! It is a very difficult fight, but mostly because there is so much going on, once you become accustomed to all the mechanics it gets a lot easier. It’s very similar to the Maelstrom Arena in that sense.
I hope you enjoyed this Fang Lair dungeon guide! I do my best to explain the mechanics in detail with images and maps, if you found anything unclear or if you have a better method – please drop a comment or send a message. 🙂
For more veteran dungeons guides like this one, check out our dungeon guide section!
/Ponty – ESO handle: @pontypants (NA-PC), send me a PM if you are struggling and I’ll try to help you out 🙂